Vacancy for a Town Councillor

A Town or Parish Council vacancy may arise for a number of reasons for example, a Councillor has resigned, passed away, or they have failed to attend any meetings for 6 months.

The vacancy must then be advertised in the Town, for a period of 14 working days excluding dies-non (e.g. bank holidays and weekends).

During this time an election can be requested by 10 electors from the electoral area in writing to Electoral Services at Cornwall Council. The request must be received by the last date on the notice for an election to be held.

If the 14 days have passed and no request for an election has been received by the last date shown on the notice, the Town Council will be informed that they can co-opt a suitable person onto the council to fill the vacancy.

Further information can be found at :

Cornwall Council Electoral Services maintains a list of the Current Town and Parish Casual Vacancies, which can be found at:  :

If you are interested in becoming a Town Councillor and you meet the criteria as set out in the Induction Pack or on the Cornwall Council website detailed above please contact the Town Clerk on 01208 817080 or email

Please see the PDF below to view the Notice of Vacancy (Wadebridge West Ward).
PDF Notice of Parish Councillor Vacancy (PDF)

How do I become a Councillor? Please take a look at our Induction Pack below.
PDF Councillor Induction Pack (PDF)