The council logo is copyright of Wadebridge Town Council. Please obtain permission before using it.
The shield was made by Cllr E B Butling and presented to Wadebridge Town Council in 1974.
The original shield is made of wood and you will find it displayed in the foyer of the Town Hall above the entrance to the Main Hall. There is a Chough at the top of the shield which does not form part of the Wadebridge Town Council logo. The Chough is part of the Cornwall County Council logo, and therefore the Town Council were unable to use it.
The shield is the Town Council's Logo and not a registered Coat of Arms for Wadebridge.
We have many members of the public ask about the Town Council logo and wonder what the symbols represent:
- The sheep are an integral part of the history of Wadebridge. In 1312 a licence was granted for Wade to commence a market in the Town and drovers would bring their sheep across the River Camel to market.
- The bridge was built across the River Camel by the Reverend Lovibond in 1460. The Bridge has seventeen arches along its 320 foot length. Legend has it that it was built on wool sacks or bales but it seems more likely that this refers to the finance for the bridge coming from wool merchants and sheep farmers. The Town then became known as Wadebridge.
- The hearts come from the Coat of Arms of Reverend Lovibond which can be seen in Egloshayle Church.
- The River Camel now has many families of swans which are now part of the river.
- The triangle of 15 Bezants (fifteeen gold circles, representing coins) are taken from The Arms of the Duke of Cornwall. This symbol is also used by Cornwall County Council to represent Cornwall.